Monday, November 16, 2009

GrandPa

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years. Because I've loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die."


When aunt Sophie told me that Grandpa has frank diabetes, I was surprised especially since my maternal family does not have a genetic history of diabetes. Aunt Sophie explained that it was due to his lymphoma going through a relapse and that sometimes diabetes is an outcome or a sign of the impending pancreatic cancer. My heart just sank.

When I was staying with Grams a few years back, we fought the lymphoma and grandpa was in remission then. And to hear the bad news now... it seems unfathomed! Mum told me that we cannot fight fate... but that does not mean that we give up fighting. I pray that grandpa will continue to do his glucose check and take his regular dose of medicine. Aunt Sophie's words kept ringing in my head "he's a walking time bomb due to his heart condition, diabetes, lymphoma".

No one could truly empathise with what grandpa is going through. Being the quiet old man who would rather fight his battles in silence than complain and cause anxiety among his wife and kids, I truly understand why he is the way he is. He said before "I'm ready to die"... and his time will come... I wish that the immediate and extended family are willing to let him go when his time comes. Regardless, we love you, grams *hugs*

P/S: Please pray for the wellbeing of this man whom we love dearly.

No comments: